Warning Signs That Your Electrical Panel Is Overloaded

October 28, 2020 10:11 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

With the fall and winter holidays quickly approaching, you’re probably dragging out your outdoor lights, blow-up lawn ornaments and other electronic gadgets. But before you start plugging things in, be careful. If you overload your electrical panel, you could cause electrocution and fires—both of which can result in serious injury or death. It’s important that you’re not only aware of the dangers and how to prevent them, but that you have the number of a local electrical repair service in Oakdale, CA on hand.

Here are the top signs that your electrical panel is overloaded. If you notice any of them, shut the power off, unplug if it’s safe and call your local electrician:

  • Overheating: Your wall outlets, switch plates, cords and plugs can get warm when they’re in use—the electrical current generates some heat, which is why electric cords are insulated. A little warmth is normal, but if the cords, devices, plugs and outlets are hot to the touch, there’s a problem. Unplug everything, shut off the power and call your local electrician for assistance. If left unattended, this can easily start a fire. Remember that older homes may not be wired to handle the demands of today’s electronics.
  • Damaged wiring insulation: Have you noticed the insulation on your wiring looking frayed, cut, cracked or otherwise damaged? This is a serious fire hazard that occurs when the electrical current is overloaded. If you see this sign, don’t wait—call an electrician immediately. Continuing to use damaged wiring may cause a fire in your home or business.
  • Sparks: There are few clearer signs of electrical problems than sparks flying from your electrical panel. If your electrical panel is generating sparks, that’s a sign that something is very wrong. Turn off the power and look at the panel. Is it smoking? Do you notice a burning smell? When you call for electrical repairs, make sure to let your electrician know all about the surrounding circumstances.
  • Buzzing: We might associate buzzing sounds with electrical currents, but you shouldn’t actually hear them in your home or business. If you do, that could mean a couple of different things. First, you could have old, worn-out parts that need to be replaced soon. Alternatively, there could be an issue with your electrical panel being overloaded. Whichever problem it is, it’s important to call a professional for help before an electrical fire occurs.
  • Power outages: Finally, if your electronics cause a power outage—whether on one circuit or throughout the entire building—that’s a sure sign that your electrical panel can’t handle the power load. This could manifest in flickering lights, outages or tripped breakers. Unplug some of the appliances involved and see if it makes a difference. If not, you’ll need to call in a local electrical repair service in Oakdale, CA for assistance.

Watching for signs of overload is the best way to prevent electrical fires in your home. If you notice problems with your electrical panel, reach out to Wilkinson Electric Inc. right away.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *