Do you need to upgrade commercial wiring? Even if you perform regular electrical wiring maintenance, there may come a time when you should consider upgrading your systems.
Look for the following signs that it’s time to make a change:
- Scorch marks: Do you see any discoloration or scorch marks on your switch plates or outlets? This happens when electricity hits the plastic and burns it. If you notice these marks, it is a sign that it’s time to upgrade commercial wiring.
- Dim lights: Do your lights get dimmer when you run several things at once? This means your system can’t support the voltage you need to run your operations. You should contact a local electrical company to discuss an upgrade.
- Frayed wires: Proper electrical wiring maintenance should eliminate the presence of any frayed wires. If any of your wires are damaged, pinched or nicked, they need attention. If wires are older and are starting to fray, it might be time to upgrade commercial wiring.
- Aged structure: How old is your commercial building? If it’s more than 30 years old, it might be time to consider an electrical upgrade. Because technology has advanced greatly in the last few decades, this upgrade could pay for itself in the savings you reap from more modern, efficient fixtures.
- Tripped breakers: Some businesses may experience an occasional tripped breaker, but if this becomes a regular issue, you have an electrical problem. It might mean you need greater amperage or that your breaker box needs to be replaced.
- Dead outlets: Are any of your switches or outlets dead? This could be a sign that you need to upgrade commercial wiring. Wires may be loose or broken, or components may have died. Consult with your local electrician to determine what electrical wiring maintenance you may need.
- Popping bulbs: Do your light bulbs make unusual noises? This could be a sign that you have bad connections and need to upgrade commercial wiring. If your bulbs are popping, consult with a commercial electrician to evaluate your system.
- Loose plugs: Over time, frequent plugging and unplugging deteriorates outlets. This can cause the plugs to loosen. If your plugs wiggle in the socket or fall out on occasion, you need electrical wiring maintenance. If this is a structure-wide problem, it might be time to upgrade commercial wiring.
- Burning smells: If you detect a burning smell, your electrical system may be failing. Circuits may be overloaded, or you may have wire damage. Do not ignore this odor. Contact a professional right away to determine appropriate next steps.
- Old breakers: How old is your breaker box? If it is outdated, you should upgrade commercial wiring by replacing the box. This is especially important if you plan to run modern devices, since they typically require modern breakers to deliver the power they need.
Ready to upgrade?
When it’s time to upgrade commercial wiring, contact the team at Wilkinson Electric Inc. Our experienced technicians specialize in all electrical services, repairs and installations. Reach us today at 209-678-2161 to get started.
This post was written by Writer