Why You Need a Professional Electrician to Wire a SpaMay 7, 2021 11:22 pm Leave your thoughts
When it comes to wiring up your spa, it may be tempting to take on the task yourself. After all, there are many YouTube videos on DIY spa installation and wiring, and you may even have some experience with light electrical work to begin with. But there are serious issues that can arise if it’s not done exactly right, so hiring a professional electrician in Oakdale, CA to do your spa wiring is a wise decision.
There are many reasons to consider professional spa wiring in Oakdale, CA as opposed to attempting the DIY approach. Here are some of the problems that may come up when trying to take on the task yourself, as well as other reasons to hire a professional electrician for this type of project.
DIY spa wiring mistakes
Electricity and water can be a lethal combination. Any time you’re working on an electrical system that is near water, there are extra precautions that need to be taken. Here are some common issues that arise with DIY spa wiring:
- Protected outlets: All outdoor outlets must have GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) protection. This will immediately disconnect the circuit in case of an electrical short. If your spa is not on a GFCI circuit, this could result in fatal electrocution if a short were to happen.
- Bonding and grounding: The metal components carrying electrical current must be properly bonded both together and back to the electrical panel. The wiring must also be grounded properly so that, should an emergency electrical situation arise, the electricity is directed into the ground rather than anywhere else.
- Breaker tripping: Moisture inside the electrical area can cause a breaker to trip, but so can loose wires and improper connections. This can lead to an electrical fire if left uncorrected.
Advantages of hiring a professional
The consequences of even one little spa wiring mistake can be very high. But there’s an easy way to avoid the possible pitfalls of DIY spa wiring, and that’s by hiring a professional electrician. Not only will a professional electrician know how to do the job correctly and safely, but there are other benefits to having a record of a third party handling this task:
- Electrical codes: A professional electrician will know the standard requirements and local electrical codes to follow for safety and to pass all required inspections. This provides peace of mind as long as you live in your home, as well as if you ever hope to sell your home or your spa.
- Insurance: If an accident should ever happen to occur with your spa, one of the first things an insurance company will inquire about is the inspection certificate from the installation. Without this, you may be fully liable for any damages that occur in this situation. It’s also important to have this inspection certificate if you’re looking to sell the home.
If you’re looking for the best professional spa wiring in Oakdale, CA, contact Wilkinson Electric Inc. today. As specialists in all types of electrical repairs and installations since 2007, we have the experience to get the job done right the first time.
Categorised in: Electrician
This post was written by Writer