Should I Hire an Electrician for a New Home Inspection?January 21, 2021 9:25 pm Leave your thoughts
Buying an older house can be intimidating. What if something goes wrong after you move in and you’re stuck with the bill? Things like replacing the heating system or fixing plumbing issues can cost thousands of dollars.
Owners of older houses can often experience problems with their electrical work. That’s why we recommend getting an electrical inspection before purchasing a home, especially if the house is on the older side. Continue reading to learn more about new home inspections and what an electrician in Oakdale, CA can do for you:
- Prevent future electrical issues: An inspection can’t prevent all electrical issues. However, it’s the best way to prevent electrical problems. During your inspection, your electrician will pore over every aspect of your electrical system and make any corrections that could lead to problems down the road. It’s also not a bad idea to get an inspection once every few years to ensure nothing is amiss with your electrical work.
- Stay up to code: Owning an older home often means you’re living with wiring that’s not up to code. If it’s over 40 years old, there’s a good chance that the wiring is outdated and may need to be replaced. To avoid fines and a ton of safety issues, get an inspection right away.
- Avoid safety hazards: Did you know that faulty electrical work is the fourth-leading cause of house fires in the United States? It’s true, and it’s even more common in homes with older wiring. Hiring a professional for an electrical inspection can prevent house fires and other safety hazards like electrical shocks.
Who can perform inspections?
It’s important to note that only trained electricians should perform electrical inspections. Anyone who’s inexperienced might miss glaring issues with the electrical work or harm themselves during the process. Although it costs more to hire a professional, a new home inspection and a professional electrician in Oakdale, CA go hand in hand.
Common electrical issues
One of the biggest pros of hiring an electrician for a new home inspection in Oakdale, CA is that we will identify all of your electrical issues. Here are a few of the most common problems we see:
- Exposed wiring: Due to improper installation or DIY electrical work, wires may become exposed over time. This poses both a shock risk and a fire hazard. Your electrician can safely place all the wiring in a junction box or fixture.
- Ungrounded three-prong outlets: Homes built before the early 1960s typically have a two-wire system without a ground wire. Grounding prevents electrical shocks and is something your electrician will tackle after the inspection.
- Improperly modified electrical panels: Previous owners may have attempted to make DIY home upgrades. This can lead to a variety of problems, like outlets and switches working intermittently, hot ceiling fixtures and flickering lights. We can correct those issues right away.
Call us today to perform your inspection!
If you’ve recently purchased a home or think you might need an electrical inspection, hire our pros at Wilkinson Electric Inc. Give us a call today to set up an appointment or to learn more about the pros of hiring an electrician for your new home inspection in Oakdale, CA.
Categorised in: Electrical Inspections
This post was written by Writer